Lea-Francis Motorcycle For Sale

If you have ever wished to own a Lea-Francis motorcycle, there is now an opportunity to purchase what is probably the most reliable and extensively campaigned example of these outstanding machines.

Lea-Francis Motorcycle For Sale

After 25 years of ownership, John Hayes has decided his 1920 Lea-Francis 500cc 3 1/2hp MAG-engined motorcycle is not getting the use it deserves and has decided to sell. Purchased from a museum and previously stored for 30 years, it had led a cosseted life and only needed a mechanical renovation. Fitted from new with a two speed gearbox, the bike has been used enthusiastically in MCC Events, the Welsh National Rally and trips to France, Belgium, Holland and the Isle of Man TT Course. Dedicated on road maintenance have ensured well over 30,000 trouble-free miles.
The sidecar is a 1910 Canoelet built by Mead & Deakin in Sparkbrook, Birmingham and is included in the sale if required.
John would like the motorbike to be sold to somebody who will use it properly. He can be contacted on 07768 514756
Click here for more information about Lea-Francis motorcycles.
Posted: November 2013

Kop Hill Climb

Four Lea-Francis based cars attend the Kop Hill Climb on Sunday 22 September 2013

Kop Hill Climb

Main picture from left to right: Rod Holt (1952 14hp Special), John Sturgeon (14hp L-F-engined Sturgeon Special), Allan Lupton (1938 Corsica Sports) and John Blundell (1948 14hp Sports).
Lower right: Norman Dewis (the Jaguar test driver who began his career at Lea-Francis) came to our area and was photographed alongside a car he had road-tested for the factory a mere 65 years ago.
This was the fifth running of this event near Princes Risborough since its revival. It attracted 400 entries for the hill climb, 14,000 spectators and a paddock full of classic car clubs. The first recorded runs were in 1910 and it became a major event until 1925 when motor sport on public roads was banned.
Posted: October 2013

Hyper activity at VSCC Prescott

VSCC Prescott Speed Hill Climb, August 3-4 2013

Hyper activity at VSCC Prescott

After weeks of dry weather, Sunday at Prescott was wet, with gentle rain almost the whole day, which was unable to affect the wonderful friendly atmosphere that this meeting generates. Good to see that three of the four LeaFs entered got awards. 
Georg Prugger (pic1), Geoffrey Delaney (pic2), and Richard Houlgate (pic3), were respectively 1st Vintage, 2nd Modified Vintage and 2nd Standard Vintage in Class 4. 
The fourth, Colin Bullock (pic4), in the Cirrus-engined LeaF, has to play in a rather competitive class, so no award this time - I think his car will be good for a rather quicker time in due course.
It was also good to see Colin Poynter’s 4 seater S Type Ulster (pic5), back together again (and beautifully done it was too), in the Orchard car park this year, but hopefully competing up the hill next year. He had only finished stitching the tonneau together on the Friday night at midnight, just as well as it turned out.
Also in the Orchard was Peter Baston’s newly finished S Type Hyper (pic6). Peter’s car spent a significant part of its life outside rotting away under an apple tree before it was dismantled and put into a garage on a Naval base by Butterfield, who was a Club member at one time. By this time a lot of damage had been done to the car by years of neglect, rust, rot and other corrosive forces. There are few people with the determination and skills Peter has to rebuild the car from the state it was in when he got it. He has done almost all the work himself and the end result is as close to a perfect restoration of a Hyper as can be seen.
Parked overlooking the track was the Brewster family 1931 Ace of Spades Estate (pic7). Jeremy Brewster did not get an entry for the hill this year in his Hyper Replica, to the advantage of several Vauxhall 30/98 owners, who called on his expertise throughout the weekend to solve problems with their cars.
In the Orchard were two more Hypers (making a total of 7 Hypers or Hyper Replicas) and six P types, including Paul Savage’s 1931 4 seater (pic8), with a 14hp Sports (pic9), hiding in the campsite.
Words: Colin Poynter, Rod Holt, & Allan Lupton. Pictures: Pic 1 - Peter McFadyen, others - John Blundell
Posted: August 2013

Massive turnout for Annual Rally

Diamond Jubilee Rally on June 9 2013 at Broughton Castle attracts over 50 vehicles.

Massive turnout for Annual Rally

Fifty Lea-Francis vehicles made it to Broughton Castle, near Banbury, the fine home of Lord & Lady Saye & Sele, on Sunday 9th June to celebrate 60 years of the Lea-Francis Owners’ Club. Farthest travelled was Trevor Bradley’s 1950 14hp Woodie, ‘The Colonel’, driving 500 miles from Aberdeen to attend (pic 1). Best car in the Concours was Max Albertini’s 1928 2LFS 16/60, brought over from Switzerland (pic 2). Best restoration went to Peter Baston’s newly finished S Type Hyper. Peter’s car spent a significant part of its life outside rotting away under an apple tree before it was dismantled and put into a garage on a Naval base. By this time a lot of damage had been done by years of neglect, rust, rot and other corrosive forces. Peter has rebuilt the car from this condition, and has done almost all the work himself, the end result as close to a perfect restoration of a Hyper as can be seen (pic 3). 1st Post-War car in the Concours was Peter Cork’s 1949 14hp Sports, returned to its original dark maroon after years of cream (pic 4). Jeremy Brewster came in force, with his 1931 6-cyl Ace of Spades for father Terry to drive (pic 5) and Jeremy and family in the P Type trials car. Another European visitor was Horst Meinert, from near Frankfurt, who brought his extremely attractive 2 seater P Type Sports with brand new Meadows engine built by Patrick Blakeney-Edwards (pic 6). Two bicycles, John Hayes’ 1920 Motorcycle & Sidecar, and Dave Purdys’ Unihorse added to the 21 pre-1937 and 27 post-1937 cars (pic 7).
Posted: June 2013

LeaF commandeered for Navy Wedding

Naval Officers Jenny Saleh & Kevin Watkins are married on 4th May 2013

LeaF commandeered for Navy Wedding

Long standing LFOC member Jenny Saleh was conveyed from her home to the Town Hall in Sturminster Newton for her wedding in the 1938 Lea Francis 12.9 HP Drop Head Coupe she owns with her sister Anna on Saturday 4th May. She married fellow RN officer Kevin Watkins. As the photos show the weather was perfect for such an occasion. The car was driven by the bride’s father Alan, who owned the car from 1980 to 2000.
This car was ordered by Violet “Midge” Wilby who rallied a number of cars during the 1930s and was driven by her to 62nd place out of 100 finishers in the 1939 Monte Carlo Rally (inset picture). It was fitted with much special equipment for the rally, including Thermos flasks in the rear armrests and two shovels in the boot. The car was found in a poor state in the 1970s and sold to Alan Saleh who had it restored to its former glory by A B Price in the early 1980s and is the only one of its type in existence.
Posted: May 2013

Special round-up

A spotlight on four Lea-Francis specials recently completed or changed owners

Special round-up

Pictures 1-3. 1950 Lea-Francis 14hp/2½ litre open 2 seater special, chassis no. 4946, engine no. S5377.
Member Roger East of Milton Keynes bought the original 14hp saloon in the early 1980s in a poor state and built this smart special on a shortened chassis using the rear section, wings, tub & weather gear from a Morgan. It was fitted with the 2½ litre sports engine after 1986. It has an up-rated cylinder head & camshafts and a 3.9 to 1 rear axle ratio. The wheels and hubs are 17inch Rudge. Roger sold it in 1989 and it passed through four owners until new member Mike Twomey bought the car in December 2012 from Crabtree Classics in Kent. It now has a Ford overdrive gearbox from a 3litre Reliant Scimitar giving very unstressed high-speed touring.

Pictures 4-6. 1947 Lea-Francis 14hp open 2 seater special, chassis no. 2530, engine no. 2029.
Bought by member Bob Parkes in September 2010 from Glyn Jones near Taunton as a 14hp saloon rolling chassis, this striking special has been built in just two years entirely by Bob, including all bodywork, paint & trim. It is based on the pre-war MGs, particularly the cycle winged J2. The chassis was shortened by 16 inches, and mounted on 19 inch MG TC wheels and Austin Healey hubs. The original mechanical brakes have been completely refurbished and retained. The wings are repro MG K3 and twin carburetors are ex-MGB SUs. The body is aluminium on square section steel tube. The seats are from a Triumph Spitfire, re-modeled and re-covered in red leather.

Picture 7. 14hp Lea-Francis engine No. 2389. Fitted to an NG Sports Cars modified chassis and completed in 2012 by member John Sturgeon who based the body style on the 1950s HWM. The running gear is basically MGB with disc brakes at front and drums at rear. The 14hp engine has been rebuilt with larger valves, hardened valve seats, gas flowed cylinder head and inlet manifold, re-profiled camshafts and lightened flywheel, 4-branch exhaust manifold and twin HS4 SUs.

Picture 8. 1950 Lea-Francis four-light saloon, chassis no. 7916, Jaguar 3.4 litre engine.  Recently sold by member Andy Winterton to new member Glyn Roberts-Morgan, this cool black saloon was fitted with its Jaguar engine and alloy wheels by a previous owner.
Posted: January 2013